Monday, January 30, 2012

This is EXACTLY what is wrong with politics today



I saw this picture going around Facebook and I just couldn't let it go. I totally understand that there are different points of view on politics and government, and I stand by the fact that open, INFORMED, debate is vital to the continuing prosperity of our country. But this? This is poison. And it is offensive on so many levels. Every citizen of the United States of America should be offended by this. Here are my thoughts, in no particular order:

1) I'm not racist and I voted for Obama. Does that mean I'm off the hook for voting for "someone else?" 
2) Am I not a Concerned Citizen of America if my vote for Obama had nothing to do with race? 
3) Is this funny if I flip it around? If you voted for McCain in 2008 to prove you're a racist, please vote for someone else (not sure if this would be Romney/Gingrich or Obama) to prove you're an idiot.  See that's not funny. That's offensive. 

When we start throwing around words like racist and idiot, we demean the whole system. This is a cop out for people who don't want to look at facts and have a rational debate. This is a ploy. Let's talk about issues and policy and get off the playground. 

No comments:

Post a Comment