Monday, June 28, 2010

Domestic Violence Update - an email from Columbus!

When me and my brother started telling my mom's story (see previous victim blog), I emailed the Speaker of the House in Columbus. Last week, I received an email from Sarah Cherry, Legal Council for the Majority Caucus. She wrote me a personal, sincere email and explained some of the hang-ups with domestic abuse laws. Here's an excerpt:

One thing we want to be cautious about moving forward, is not changing the law so that it inadvertently traps the victims and prevents them from collecting deserved alimony. Often, a victim can also be convicted of domestic violence for participating in one instance of fighting with the chronic abuser. We want to be very careful not to create a system that encourages a true victim to stay in an abusive relationship by denying them alimony if they leave.

I am encouraged by this response and by the consideration that the Majority Caucus is giving this issue. Please send our Speaker of the House an email thanking him for the work they are doing on Domestic Abuse laws and urging them to push ahead, to make a difference for victims. Every email or phone call helps!

(614) 466-5441

No comments:

Post a Comment